Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10 for short is an enzyme that is naturally produced in our bodies and stored in the mitochondria of our cells. Mitochondria are the power plants in our cells that produce energy for our cells to function well and to assist transfer energy between cells. CoQ10 catalyses or assists in this process. When our CoQ10 levels are optimal, cellular functions are enhanced. This cellular energy then assists in the bodies ability to complete all kinds of functions that contribute to our overall health and wellbeing.
CoQ10 must be taken with food to be efficiently absorbed by our body. Taken alone as a supplement, CoQ10 may not be absorbed well with a significant amount of CoQ10 passed right through the body. Every CharsQ10bar is infused with the 20 mg of the highest quality Ubiquinone CoQ10. This is unique in that the infusion process solubilizes the CoQ10 into the bar for maximum absorption by the body.
How much CoQ10 is the right amount?
FDA guidelines recommend a maximum daily CoQ10 dosage of 200 mg. CoQ10 should be taken with food for absorption in the GI Tract. Through our research and development processes we have found that Char's Q10bar is well balanced at 20 mg as the CoQ10 is infused into the food for maximum absorption and 1-2 bars per day is adequate. CoQ10 recommended dosages for other benefits are shown below or as directed by your medical doctor. (Source: www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-938/coenzyme-q10)
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For coenzyme Q10 deficiency: 150-2400 mg per day.
- For disorders that limit energy production in the cells of the body (mitochondrial disorders): 150-160 mg per day, or 2 mg/kg per day. In some cases, doses may be gradually increased to 3000 mg per day.
- For age-related vision loss (age-related macular degeneration): A specific combination product containing 100 mg of acetyl-L-carnitine, 530 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, and 10 mg of coenzyme Q10 (Phototrop, Sigma-tau Health Science Ltd.) per day for one year.
- For preventing death due to heart problems: A combination of 100 mg of coenzyme Q10 (Bio-Quinon, Pharma Nord) twice per day plus 200 mcg of selenium yeast (SelenoPrecise, Pharma Nord) per day for up to 5 years.
- For heart failure: 100 mg per day divided into two or three doses for up to 4 months or 2 mg/kg daily for up to one year.
- For nerve damage caused by diabetes (diabetic neuropathy): 400 mg per day for 12 weeks.
- For fibromyalgia: 300 mg daily for about 6 weeks. Also 200 mg of coenzyme Q10 (Bio-Quinon Q10, Pharma Nord) plus 200 mg of ginkgo (Bio-Biloba, Pharma Nord) per day for 12 weeks.
- For HIV/AIDS: 100-200 mg per day for over 4 years.
- For blood vessel complications caused by heart bypass surgery: 150-300 mg per day in up to three divided doses for 1-2 weeks before surgery.
- For a specific type of high blood pressure: 60 mg twice per day for 12 weeks.
- For preventing migraine headache: 100 mg three times per day, 150 mg once per day, or 100mg once per day for 3 months. A dose of 1-3 mg/kg per day for 3 months has also been used.
- For a muscle disorder called muscular dystrophy: 100 mg per day for 3 months.
- For multiple sclerosis (MS): 500 mg twice daily for 3 months.
- For reducing the risk of future heart-related events in people with recent heart attack: 120 mg per day in two divided doses for up to one year. A combination of 100 mg of coenzyme Q10 (Bio-Quinon, Pharma Nord) and 100 mcg of selenium (Bio-Selenium, Pharma Nord) per day for up to one year has also been used.
- For Peyronie's disease: 300 mg per day for 6 months.
- For coenzyme Q10 deficiency: 60-250 mg per day in up to three divided doses.
- For preventing migraine headache: 1-3 mg/kg daily for 3 months has been used in patients aged 3-18 years.
- For a muscle disorder called muscular dystrophy: 100 mg daily for 3 months in children aged 8-15 years.